Sunday 23 August 2009

Portraits of Matthew John at Thornbury Castle

It's not often that I get to shoot portraits in such interesting locations, so this was a rarity that I couldn't pass up. Matthew had arranged with to use Thornbury Castle to kindly have the use of some of their rooms for us to use

It was early evening on an August day. The strong sunlight was coming in through the window so I used this as my backlight. My main light had an umbrella attached and this was set to closely match the ambient. A 2nd light was bounced onto the ceiling to act as fill.




The next shot used a slower shutter speed to capture the flames from the fire. The two lights from the 1st shot were set in the same way.



This was a tricky shot to get right. I had one light with an umbrella at camera right and a 2nd unmodified light at camera left at a ratio of about 1:1. A 3rd small light with an orange gell is used to illuminate the lamp behind Matt's head.


This last shot uses just one light. I added a simple black & white conversion add to the atmosphere.


For the full pictures, see : http://www.ms-imaging.co.uk/Portraits/Matthew-John/9374404_akwZc

For more details of Thornbury Castle, see: http://www.thornburycastle.co.uk/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here