Sunday 16 August 2009

Photography With a Darkroom Enlarger Lens

I've seen a few of these on auction sites that often don't make the starting bids. This one was listed vaguely but I thought I would take a chance so I bidded £0.99 (gbp) and was successful.

The lens arrived and has a 39mm thread mount which I hoped for as I have an M39>M42 adapter and a set of bellows waiting. I tried it out on the bathroom window handle (one of my fav tests for new lenses) and was rather disappointed. There was a lot of haze inside the lens making the image look like this:

I'm not the most experienced at taking optics apart but for the cost and the risk I thought I'd give it a go. Both ends of the lens unscrew easily and no tools are needed. I cleaned both sides of each element with lighter fluid and a lens cloth and also the iris, which incidentally has 10 blades so it forms a fairly smooth circle at any aperture.

The next test shot looked like this (click on the images to see larger size):



Impressed with the progress I took it out across the fields with it mounted on a tripod. Unfortunately it was windy and getting dark so opportunities were limited. Anyway, here's a few examples:
1.


2.


Crop (I didn't notice the little bug until I was editing)


3. (just testing distance shots)


4.


5.


6.


7.


Finally a pic of the lens mounted on bellows, attached to my 40D:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments here